NSWCCL made a Submission to this Inquiry.
- The New South Wales Council for Civil Liberties (NSWCCL) welcomes the opportunity to make a submission to the Education Committee concerning the Education Legislation Amendment (Parental Rights) Bill 2020 (“The Bill”).
- NSWCCL considers that the Bill should not be passed. Not a single aspect of the Bill improves upon the law as it currently stands in NSW. Moreover, the Bill is an appalling contribution to public debate and education policy in this State.
- In this submission, NSWCCL will argue that the Bill should not be passed for the following compelling reasons. The Bill:
a. is plainly bigoted, discriminatory and cruel;
b. is likely unconstitutional;
c. is injurious to fundamental human rights, including freedom of expression;
d. would harm education in NSW;
e. is unnecessary; and
f. violates the principle of coherence.
- This is a remarkable combination of defects. Residents of NSW deserve better from their lawmakers.
- We are happy to expand upon our submission if invited to provide evidence before the Committee.
Recommendation 1: NSWCCL recommends that the Committee and the NSW Parliament reject the Education Legislation Amendment (Parental Rights) Bill 2020 in its entirety.