Today NSW Council for Civil Liberties joined with Trade Unions, Civil and Human Rights Organisations calling on the NSW Premier to publicly affirm the government’s support for the right to protest.
- NTEU NSW Division
- Amnesty International Australia
- Australian Centre for International Justice
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre
- Community Legal Centres Australia
- Australian Lawyers for Human Rights
- Australian Democracy Network
- Human Rights Law Centre
- Maritime Union of Australia Sydney Branch
- Australian Services Union
Today's announcement by police that they are blocking another protest and setting up Operation Shelter is deeply concerning. It is another blow to the right to protest which has already been savaged in this state.
The organisations that have signed this open letter call on the government to publicly affirm their support for the right to non-violent protest as fundamental to freedom of speech, association and assembly in our State. The public have the right to know where the government stands on the right to protest and should not be left in the dark.
We do not have confidence that this government is willing to respect the right to protest. Enough is enough and this open letter shows that civil society is continuing to stand on the side of protestors.
Read our letter here.