The NSW Council for Civil Liberties (NSWCCL) thanks the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for its invitation to make a submission concerning the Migration Amendment (Clarification of Jurisdiction) Bill 2018.
In relation to the Amendment, it is submitted that:
1. Avenues to commence actions in the Federal Court should remain open;
2. The Federal Court is more suitable for hearing class actions than the Federal Circuit
3. The Federal Court is more suited to hearing significant migration appeals;
4. The amendment is likely to affect human rights; and
5. There is concern about the complexity of the Migration Act provisions
To see the NSWCCL recommendations and the full submission to this bill click here: