Councils for civil liberties across Australia (New South Wales Council for Civil Liberties, Liberty Victoria, Queensland Council for Civil Liberties, South Australia Council for Civil Liberties, Australian Council for Civil Liberties) have come together to make a joint submission on the Australian Government’s Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Foreign Fighters) Bill 2014 (the Bill).
The submission address the following issues:
- Inadequate review timeframe
- Extension of sunset clauses to 2025
- Loose definitions and discretionary enforcement related to foreign incursion offences
- Freedom of travel to 'No-Go Zones'
- Scope of personal jurisdiction
- Potential for indefinite arbitrary detention in lieu of timely consent for prosecution from Attorney-General
- Advocacy offences an unreasonable imposition upon free speech
- Potential abuse of delayed notification warrants
- Unjustifiable revisions concerning travel document cancellation
- Unnecessary enhancement/broadening of customs officers detention powers
- Suspension of welfare payments retains right of review
NSWCCL has issued extensive public comment regarding this bill - read more here